Our guide to choosing the best backpack diaper bag for everyday and travel. Why we love them, our favourite brands and what to consider when searching for the best backpack diaper bag.
I have always loved backpacks. I love them for travel, I love them as a gym bag and I even love them as an everyday bag ever since I discovered city appropriate, ladylike ones. Therefore, it is no surprise that I also recommend them as a diaper bag, arguably one of the most difficult things to buy if you don’t want to compromise style for comfort.
I have written before about great diaper bags for travel but today I want to be more specific and share what I consider the best backpack diaper bag for mamas and dads.
Buying for a new parent always on the go? Then you may also like our suggestions for best travel beds (excellent for travels and sleepovers with the grandparents!) and our selection of travel essentials for baby
Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links and if you make a purchase through them, we might make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Product specs come from manufactures instructions: please click on the links provided for additional info on each product.
Why a diaper bag backpack
I recommend diaper bag backpacks for several reasons.
First, they give you free of moment. Backpacks have been the best mate for trevelers for years and this is because they allow you to move swiftly from one place to the other without bulky bags swinging across your body or fear of leaving bits behind.
I find this is true even on every day occurrences such as a trip to the local pond! With children, we always have a lot of gear to carry and keep an eye on, so to have a piece that we can just put on and forget about it, is a great plus in my book.
They are often more comfortable than cross-body diaper bags. Well built diaper bag backpacks distribute the load evenly on your shoulders and this means you feel more comfortable than with a bag of any other shape.
I found this to be important as soon as I realised how heavy diaper bags can get! I have always been a minimalist but even with a small load, wipes, changing mat and snacks pile up weight fast. If, like me, you find your back is more sore than it used to be after childbirth and life with small kids, a diaper bag backpack can be a great solution.
Dad can carry them too. Backpack diaper bags come in all designs and patterns, many of them gender neutral. Some are even designed with dads in mind, making them a lot more willing to take the load than if you they had to sport a flowery canvas bag.
When on a quest for the best backpack diaper bag, the ability to share is pretty important!
How to choose the best backpack diaper bag
When looking for the best backpack diaper bags it is worth considering a few things and specifically:
Size: backpack diaper bags come in several sizes, some more generous than others. They all have their advantages and suit different styles. How will you use the backpack: is it instead of your purse or in addition to it? Is it for everyday, travel, or both? The best diaper bag backpack is the one that suits your lifestyle.
Number of pockets: Diaper bags are usually very pocket heavy with several compartments for almost all needs. Depending on what you carry on your bag and how you feel about pockets (useful or easy way for forget where is what?) you may want to select one brand over the other.
Material: The best material for a diaper bag backpack is washable and breathable. When choosing, consider how easy or hard it will be to rub away stains and spillages from days in the park and car trips. Can you put the bag in the washing machine or should you wipe it clean? If washable, how long does it take to dry fully?
Straps: like with all backpacks, the key to a comfortable diaper back pack is padded straps. The best diaper bag backpacks have padded straps that don’t cut on your shoulders and that you can, ideally, adjust to suit your height.
Laptop compartment. This may not be the most obvious thing to look for in a diaper backpack but it is a surprisingly useful one to have if you travel with baby. If you need to carry a laptop or any other family tech, being able to fit it in the diaper bag rather than in a separate bag is priceless: one less thing to carry on the plane too.
Some of the best diaper backpacks for moms and dads
Okkatots diaper backpack
This is a good bag, on the large side for a changing backpack, with loads of pockets and compartments. Unlike a traditional rucksack that opens from the top only, it opens like a book, which means you can easily see what is inside.
I am a huge fan of bags that open horizontally and have moved from top loading to horizontal loading backpacks for travel too, so i speak from experience.
- Easy Access diaper wipes compartment & multiple interior pockets
- Insulated Side Bottle Pocket and cooler on the top of the bag
- Cushioned laptop compartment & cell phone pockets
- Comfortable shoulder straps, Reinforced stroller straps
- Antimicrobial changing pad, compartment for storage of dirty clothes
- Antimicrobial pacifier pouch
Freshly picked convertible backpack diaper bag
If style is what you are after, the Freshly Picked convertible diaper backpack definitely delivers! The bag is made of high quality vegan leather (so it not leather, but it looks like it) and it is of very high quality, something that is reflected in its price point.
This bag wasn’t around when I got my first baby but it would very much be my choice. A good looking, ladylike bag does wonders to your confidence when you are exhausted and feeling all over the place!
- 100% wipe clean and spill resistant interior and exterior
- Ten pockets with spacious central space
- Magnetic front flap for easy close without zipping
- Wearable 3 ways: backpack, cross-body, or purse
- “Grab-and-go” top handle
- Metal feet on bottom so bag never touches the ground
- Nylon changing pad included
- 13” wide x15” high x 7” deep; 2.3 lbs. weight
Paperclip diaper bag
Another stylish pick, this time for dads, this diaper backpack is very much designed for those who don’t want to look like they are carrying around diapers and who are into gadgets. Unlike other diaper bags who flaunt changing mats, this one turn into an inpromptu changing table! This is a great present for hipster dads (do you have one in your life? I do!). Check Paper clip diaper bag specs and price here
- Front panel opens completely to allow clear view and easy access
- Quick access on the top through the cap
- Converts between messenger and backpack styles
- Easy access laptop compartment
- Anti-microbial, water repelling, detachable,machine washable changing pad
- Quilted, 100% polyester,leather, nylon
- 15.5” H x 6” L x 11” W, 4 lbs. (empty)
Columbia summit rush
One more unisex choice, the Columbia summit rush diaper backpack is a value option with spacious interior, three elasticized pockets and one zipper pocket. Check Columbia summit rush specs and prices here
- Wide mouth opening for easy access
- Main compartment with multiple accessory pockets, zippered pocket and wipe clean floor
- Thermal bottle compartment, holds two bottles
- Padded change mat
- Padded back and adjustable backpack straps with breathable mesh panels
- Dimensions: 13.5″x19.25″x7″
Dadgear backpack diaper bag
Like the name suggests, the Dadgear diaper backpack is marketed with dads in mind. It looks like a traditional rucksack but it is equipped with pockets and gadgets that make it into a good diaper bag. There is a choice of colours and what I like about it is that I find it gender neutral enough to be shared by both parents.Check Dad Gear backpack prices here
- Two large zippered pockets with numerous compartments make it simple to stay organized
- Two bottle pockets accessible from the exterior hold 2 bottles each
- Light-colored interior helps you see everything inside
- Stroller straps attach to any stroller and store neatly when not in use
- Changing pad included
JUJU Be convertible backpack diaper bag
After one for dads, one for moms! The Juju Be is often described by moms as the best backpack diaper bag of all for style. What moms love is that you don’t feel awkward carrying it around in the city and looks very much like a purse rather than a sport sack. Check Ju Ju be Right back specs and prices here:
- Padded back panel with breathable mesh for added comfort, ergonomically curved and padded shoulder straps
- Quick grab handle
- Cell phone pocket
- 2 exterior insulated bottle pockets
- Memory foam changing pad included in the back panel zipper compartment
- Light-Colored lining to easily see what’s inside
- Machine Washable, air dry
Another convertible purse that can be worn as a backpack as well as crossbody, the Babymel is popular with moms that prefer to stay away from oversize bags and prefer more compact ones.
- Lightweight and durable with 6 internal and external pockets
- Comes in several colours, some unisex
- Includes Easy-Wipes pocket with dispenser slot
- Made from durable polyester, wipe clean throughout
- Insulated bottle holder
- Built –in convertible multiway strap with integrated stroller straps
- Wide opening with secure double zipped closure
- Dimensions: H 35 x W x 29 D x 15 cm. Weight: 1kg
I hope you found this roundup useful and it helped you pick the best changing bag to suit your lifestyle.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites