This page collects our favourite family travel resources and reviews of the family friendly accommodation, tours and gear we have used during our travels. Here you are going to find all the tools we regularly use to travel with our kids, our favourite family travel providers and specific reviews of products, services or accommodation we have experienced.
We travel at our own expenses but occasionally receive hospitality or tickets to attractions for the purpose of a review: when that happens, you will find a clear disclosure in the relevant post.
In all cases, we bring you our honest, unbiased opinion as we want to be, for you, a trustworthy and reliable source of information for all things family travel.
Disclaimer:this post contains affiliate links and if you make a purchase though them, we might make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Favourite family travel resources: accommodation
For accommodation, we rely on several booking systems:
One of my favourite travel sites ever, it offers a wide selection of hotels and apartments in a huge array of destinations, catering for all budgets. They have a super handy system that allows you to cancel most rooms up until few days before travelling, making it perfect for people travelling with kids, when flexibility is a must!
This is a hotel price comparison website allowing you to book a room at the cheapest price available across several booking engines. It is not the prettiest looking website but it is very useful to make sure you don’t pay over the odds for the same room without having to spend ages taking care of the comparison yourself!
I am an avid home swapper and my provider of choice is homeexchange.com. I have written extensively about them and they are the reason why we can take summer holidays in far flung places without breaking the bank.
For apartment rentals, VRBO is excellent. They have a vast selection of accommodation options in many destinations and a good interface that makes you book with confidence.
Favourite Family Travel Resources: tour providers
Get Your Guide
For day tours, tickets and day trips our favourite provider is Get Your Guide. They are a one stop shop for tours and showcase offers from different providers: you can see at a glance the tours available in your preferred destination and they offer a handy booking system so you can secure the one you want and get confirmation straight to your phone. Most have very good cancellation options and ‘skip the line’ tickets are often available: an incredible time saver! I find them excellent especially for tours and activities in Europe.
Another excellent tour booking site is Viator. You can easily compare and book tours available in your location of choice and get a booking voucher straight on your phone. Compared with the one above, I find they have a better selection for activities in North America.
Travel Resources: flights
I usually book flights directly with the airline. However, I do find some online agencies and flight comparison sites useful, so have a first idea of what combinations are available and what price trend I can expect on a specific route.
Favourite Family Travel Gear
Our go-to place for travel gear is Amazon. We buy a huge amount of stuff from them and are avid users of one of their most amazing things: the kindle!
These are our favourite brands:
- Favourite luggage for adults: Osprey Fairpoint 40 (carry on travel backpack)
- Favourite luggage for kids: Trunki ride on suitcase
- Favourite Guidebooks: Lonely Planet
- Favourite Camera: Lumix
- Favourite travel stroller: Maclaren Quest
- Favourite baby carrier: Ergo baby organic cotton
Favourite Family Travel Resources: Family Travel Products Reviews
At present, we have written specific reviews about:
- Travelove City Kits
- Cozyphones kids headphones
- Wispy wafers
- Deuter Kikki
- Trunki children luggage
- The Adventurous Mailbox
- Omy Colouring Rolls
- Bike first aid kit
- Lava Brightsounds 2 portable bluetooth speaker
Favourite Family Travel Resources: Family Friendly Attractions Reviews
- Dublinia museum, Dublin, Ireland
- Trinity College Library, Dublin, Ireland
- Explora children Museum, Rome, Italy
- Japanese Gardens, Co. Kildare, Ireland
- Greenan Maze and Farm, Co. Wicklow, Ireland
- Dublin Bay cruise, Dublin, Ireland
- The Ferrari experience, Florence, Italy
- Thomas Land, UK
- Macaco Tour Treasure Hunt, Venice, Italy
- Wanderjack, Venice Tour, Italy
- Rome 4 kids, pizza making class, Rome, Italy
- Rome 4 kids, Family Tour of the Vatican Museums, Vatican city
Favourite Family Travel Resources: Family Friendly Accommodation Reviews
Family friendly, local accommodation ideas
- Campo di Carlo, agriturismo, Tuscany (Italy)
- Pucci Country House, Umbria (Italy)
- Eco- camping Inch Hideaway, Cobh (Ireland)
- Drayton Manor Hotel, Tamworth (UK)
- ME Reina Victoria Hotel Madrid (Spain)
- Paradu Eco-Resort (Italy)
- Brooklodge Hotel (Ireland)
- Hilton Garden Inn Dublin hotel (Ireland)
- Hilton Templepatrick Hotel (Northern Ireland)
- Hilton Diagonal Mar, Barcelona (Spain)
- Martinhal family hotel, Lisbon (Portugal)
- Martinhal family resort Cascais (Portugal)