The best travel bassinet and best toddler travel bed round up 2019. Find out the best bassinet for travel and portable toddler sleeping solutions traveling parents rave about (fully updated)!
Sleeping arrangements are often the hardest part of family travel planning.
Getting a child to sleep in unfamiliar surroundings can be stressful and I soon discovered that the cots hotels were boasting on their website as ‘available on request’ are often all but reassuring.
Often wobbly, they are never as clean as you would like them to be and especially with a young baby they often made me wish we had brought our own. And so one day we did and never looked back.
Depending on the age of your baby or child you have several options of good sleeping solutions: travel bassinets, travel cribs and portable toddlers beds. Here some of the best toddler travel beds on the market and a selection of our favorite baby bassinets for travel.
What is a travel bassinet
A portable bassinet is a sleeping solution for babies up to 3 – 6 months of age. They are usually most suitable for newborns and small babies although some brands do cater for older kids too.
Travel bassinets are small, portable devices, compact in size and come in handy for newborns and small children pretty much until they are able to roll over – at which point you are likely to move to a travel crib.
How to choose the best bassinet for travel
A best bassinet for travel is safe (always check they meet safety standards), portable and comfortable for baby.
Things to look for when choosing a portable bassinet for babies are:
- Safety. Always make sure the travel bassinet is built according to the latest safety standard and approved materials.
- Portability. Portable bassinets come in different shapes and weight. Before choosing a traveling bassinet, consider on what type of outing you will be using your travel bassinet: what can be handy on road trips may not meet airline standards for carry on on luggage. Always check with the airline if travelling by air with an infant, as regulations change often.
- Comfort for baby. Many elements contribute to the comfort of your baby: the quality of the mattress, their sleeping position (flat or slightly reclined) and the possible rocking motion of their sleeping device just to name a few.
In my experience, my babies always got more fussy while travelling then at home so for me sticking to a bassinet that mimics their home bed as always been the best option!
My two liked being slightly reclined rather than flat and were never fond of rocking, one liked a big bed and the other liked to feel contained… which is why in this round up of travel bassinets and toddler travel beds I included several types.
I hope your baby likes them!
Please note: This post contains affiliate links and if you make a purchase through them i might make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
The best bassinet for travel: best buys
|Best travel bassinet brands||Age suitability||Product weight|
|Brica Fold n go||Up to 15 lb (about 3 months old)||2.45 lb|
|Kidco Peapod & Kidco Peapod Plus||1 to 3 and 1 to 5 years of age||2.5 lb / 3.5 lb|
|Deryan baby travel bed||0 to 4.5 years of age||7.7 lb|
|Swaddle me by your side baby sleeper||suitable for babies not yet able to roll on their side||6 lb|
Best travel bassinet: Brica fold n go
A very popular bassinet parents love for its huge portability, the Brica fold n go is an excellent travel bassinets for babies and can be used until they are about 15lb in weight about 3 months old.
The side of the portable bassinet are mash and this makes it excellent for air circulation especially if you are travelling to hot weather destination. Please note that they do not operate as a safety barrier preventing kids from rolling over. The Brica fold and go is easy to open and fold and has a handle to make it easy to carry.
Main specs of Brica fold n go travel bassinet
- Mesh panels, breathable fabric, locking frame
- Four-point Safe-T-Lock System for safety and security
- Double locking tubular steel frame
- Mesh panels provide air flow for maximum comfort
- Lightweight design and carry handle. Material: Polyester, Steel, Cotton
- Parents love: is easy to fold and store, lightweight, good for young babies
- Any negatives? It has a short lifespan
KidCo peapod and KidCo Peapod baby travel bassinet
Parents of young toddlers share excellent reviews of the KidCo PeaPod and KidCo PeaPod Plus portable toddler beds or travel tents as they also called. They always come up in parents discussion forums as great options for a travel bassinet as they are lightweight and easy to storage: the ability to choose between two sizes means the product is appealing also to parents of slightly older or taller babies.
KidCo PeaPod travel bassinet for baby
The main specs of the Peapod are:
- Surrounded by lightweight mesh that promotes air flow and acts as an insect screen
- 2.5lb bed folds into a compact size
- The peapod comes fully assembled with a sleeping pad snapped to the underside of the floor
- A large front zipper panel makes access to children easy
- Comes with a carry/storage bag
- Suitable for babies and toddlers 1 to 3 years of age
- easy and light to carry
- Potential hazard:Because of the nature of the product, older kids can make it topple over so caution on the position chosen is paramount
KidCo PeaPod Plus travel bassinet / bed for toddlers
The main specs of the KidCo PeapodPlus according to the manufacturer are:
- Surrounded by lightweight mesh that promotes air flow and acts as an insect screen, this 3.5lb travel bed folds into a compact size
- UV protection and anchor straps for ground attachment allow for outdoor use
- The peapod plus comes fully assembled with a sleeping pad snapped to the underside of the floor. No further assembly is needed as it can be folded and stored with the sleeping pad fully attached
Parents love: how easy and light it is to carry, how kids tend to love the novelty factor of sleeping in a ‘tent
Any negatives? Because of the nature of the product, older kids can make it topple over so caution on the position chosen is paramount
Deryan baby travel bed
Another solution many parents and children love is the baby travel bed by Deryan. This baby bed is by a Dutch brand that made a point of creating an easy to fold, portable travel bed for babies that could serve parents for several years.
Their Deryan baby travel bed comes in several sizes, one suitable from birth to almost 5 years and has a self inflatable mattress, sleeping mat and tent.
- Travel cot / children tent for travel or at home
- Tent made of 100% polyester with 50% UV protection
- The “pop-up” system allows you to build up in seconds
- Incl. sleeping mat
- Incl.comfortable self-inflatable air mattress
- Entry from the top and from the side
- Fire-resistant fabric
- Windows can be darkened
- Mosquito Net < 1mm
- Tent: L x W x H = about 130 x 76 x 65 cm
- Carrying bag: L x W x H = approx. 45 x 15 x 45 cm
- Weight: approx. 3.5 Kg
SwaddleMe By Your Side Sleeper
A very good baby bassinet for travel and one of generous size while in use. The bassinet folds nicely and this makes it easy to carry.
How to choose the best toddler bed for travel: cribs/ inflatable/fold up
When the children are a little older and outgrow their bassinet, you may want to look at a travel toddler bed instead.
When choosing the best toddler travel bed, make sure you check:
- Safety: always check safety standard are met in terms of construction practice and materials. Take into account your toddler ability to zip/unzip the bed and how much they tend to move while asleep to judge the bed that suits them the most
- Portability: Take into account the type of travel you are most likely to do with your toddler and evaluate the space available at destination and how suited the portable bed is to air travel
- Comfort: toddlers have very individual preferences and what works for one does not work for the other. In the selection below you will find toddler travel beds parents have judged as the best in the market but I suggest you choose a bed that is a similar as possible to the one at home to facilitate a full night sleep.
About to travel with your kids soon? Then also check out our round up of favorite travel products for families,our selection of the best travel strollers to suit all budgets and the best diaper bags for travel
The best travel cribs for babies and toddlers
If you and your child prefer a travel bed with more structure and that can also double up as a contained play are, you might want to look at travel cribs. The two that usually top the preferences of parents are the Baby Bjorn travel crib and the Phil & teds, two excellent brands expert in the creation of family essentials.
|Best travel cribs for babies and toddlers name||Easy to fold Y/N||Product weight|
|Baby Bjorn travel crib||Y||13 lbs/6 kg|
|Phil & Teds travel crib||Y||7 lbs/ 3.2 Kg|
|Lotus everywhere travel crib||Y||13 lbs / 6 kg|
Baby Bjorn travel crib
The Baby Bjorn Travel Crib Light is a high quality, lightweight, sturdy crib. It is easy to assemble and dissemble and gets very high rating when it comes to kids comfort. This travel crib is suitable for kids up to age 3.
If you travel by air often, it is worth noticing that it can not be carried as hand luggage for flights but it does fit into a suitcase and will easily fit into the trunk of a car.
Main specs of the Baby Bjorn travel crib light:
- JPMA Certified Product with low height and transparent mesh fabrics
- Easy to move around the house so you can always have your child close to you day and night
- Soft, breathable and airy sides and simple design with no bars or loose parts to trap tiny hands or feet
- For ages newborn to approximately 3, or until your child can climb out of the travel crib.
- Mattress: 23.5 x 41 x 1.2 in/60 x 105 x 4 cm, Assembled: 32 x 44 x 24 in/82 x 112 x 64cm, Folded down in carry bag: 19 x 23.5 x 5.5
- Parents love: easy to fold and unfold, it comes with a spacious carry bag you can also use for additional items.
- Any negatives? It must be checked in for air travel
Phil and Teds travel crib
Another favorite with parents is the Phil and Teds travel crib, which came onto the market as a product you can carry with you on the plane: a definite advantage for frequent air travelers!
It has a long and narrow design that makes it big enough for your child to sleep comfortably but not too big for it to be awkward in smaller hotel rooms
Main specs of the Phil and Teds travel crib:
- Light & super compact for travel
- Ideal for any adventure, inside or outside
- Full breathable mesh sides and global safety certification means you can rest easy and supervise your sleeping children while in the traveler travel cot
- Self-inflating mattress, which is covered with a soft fitted sheet
- Oeko-tex certified, free from health-hazardous substances
- Parents love: high portability especially for air travel
- Any negatives? Narrow design, some parents found the assembly of the legs hard at first
Lotus everywhere travel crib
Another portable toddler bed for travels parents swear by is the Guava Lotus Everywhere travel crib.Praised by flying parents for its huge portability, the Lotus Everywhere:
- Approved for use for newborns to toddlers under 35” of height. There is no weight limit as the mattress is supported by the floor.
- Weight: 13lbs / 6 kg (including backpack)
- Mattress: 42" L x 24" W
- Setup Crib: 45" L x 32" W x 25"
- Packed into Backpack: 24" L x 7" W x 11" H
- Machine washable
Best inflatable toddler bed for travel and sleepovers
One of our favorite sleeping solution is a simple inflatable toddler bed.
While they may look less fancy than the cute tents above and less versatile than the travel cribs, I do find inflatable toddler beds easy to use and to store. Just make sure you get hold of an electric pump to make the inflating easy!
A good quality inflatable toddler bed, the Shrunks toddler travel bed comes with inflatable sides to help prevent rolling onto the floor. The inflatable bed is lightweight and it inflates quickly.
Main specs of the Shrunks inflatable toddler bed:
- Signature guard rails help prevent children from rolling off the bed
- Constructed with the safest materials
- Quiet, squeak-free material and design
- Includes powerful Jetaire Electric Pump
- Hassle-free full 2-year warranty
- Dimensions: 60'' length x 37'' width, Height: 9'' - from floor to height of rail, When Rolled for Storage: 16'' width x 7'' height (diameter), Inside Dimensions of sleeping surface: 47'' length x 24 width''
- Parents love: easy to set up, fits cot size sheets, made of non-noisy material
- Any negatives? The pump provided is very noisy
Best fold up toddler bed for travel
Last but not least, a good option to consider is a fold up toddler bed. One that is super easy to set up is the Regalo My Cot portable toddler bed: this type of bed works pretty much the same way as a fold up chair and is therefore ready in seconds. Unlike inflatable beds, it has no raised sides but relies on the weight of the child to keep them in a position that is below the side rails.
Some of the main specs of the Regalo My cot portable toddler bed:
- Fold and go sleeping and activity cot
- Includes fitted sleeping bag, removable pillow and travel case
- For indoor and outdoor use
- Incredibly quick and easy to set up and fold down
- Durable all steel constructed frame that has a reinforced canvas bed liner
- Parents love: easy to unfold, highly portable, doubles up as seating area for picnics and outings
- Any negatives?Older kids or kids who move a lot may roll out because of the not so high sides of the bed
I hope you found our round up useful and I answered your questions about the best travel bassinet and best toddler travel beds of all. Happy traveling bassinet shopping!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.