How would you like to learn in Bologna? The other day I wrote a post about Italian courses in Rome and suggested Bologna as a very good alternative destination. With all the cities in Italy I could have mentioned, why Bologna?
Bologna is a great city to learn Italian and an all time favourite destination for students of all ages.
Many elements make it so special: its fabulous architecture, with towers and porticoes dating back to medieval times, its incredible food and of course its famous university, the oldest in the world (dating back to 1088!), which still now fills the city with many local and international students Really, the perfect destination if you want to learn Italian in a beautiful, lively and stimulating city.
If you are already studying Italian or can read it, you might want to check out Tutto Italiano and keep your practice up.
Bologna is also the home of an excellent school of Italian, Alce Bologna, providing quality language tuition to students of all levels in a friendly and welcoming environment. I have known the owners of Alce for a good few years, since a trip they took to Dublin years ago, and I am delighted to have now a space where I can talk about their school.
Founded in 1999, the school is located in a historical building right in the centre of the city. It has 11 light-filled classrooms, free wi-fi, a lovely students lounge and welcomes students from all over the world, that make up for a truly international environment.
The classes are small, made of a maximum of 8 students to ensure individual attention from the tutors, and cater for all levels, from beginners to advanced speakers.
The school is an officially recognized CILS examination centre (authorized by University of Siena), fully accredited (IALC, ASILS, CSN, Bildungsurlaub) and it is a member of IALC (the award-winning association of high-quality, independent language schools).
Italian language courses run all year round and cover a wide range of interests. You can choose between a variety of Italian language courses
Learn Italian in bologna: courses available
– General Italian intensive (GI23) for students who want to learn all aspects of the Italian language. This course offers four morning hours of lessons per day, from 9.00 to 13.15, Monday to Friday, plus 3 afternoon hours (one weekly Grammar Workshop – on Mondays – and one afternoon class of Conversation or Phonetic – on Tuesday – ) per week. Groups range from 3 to 8 students. An excursion and activity programme is included. This course can be combined with the Italian culture and conversation course.
– General Italian super intensive (GI30): perfect for people who have only 2 or 3 weeks available and want to make the most of their time in school. The course consists of six hours of lessons per week, from 9.00 to 13.15 in the morning and 14.00 to 16.00 in the afternoon, Monday to Friday. Groups range from 3 to 8 students. An excursion and activity programme is included.
– Combined Italian course (20+5): a course combining group tuition and one to one classes. Perfect for students who want to concentrate on specific aspects of the language or who feel have different levels of skills in different language areas (E.g. Strong understanding but weaker confidence in speaking). The course consists of 25 lessons per week, from 9.00 am to 13.00 and usually 2.00 pm to 3.00 pm in the afternoon, Monday to Friday (different afternoon schedule may be arranged). Groups range from 3 to 8 students. An excursion and activity programme is included.
– CILS preparation course: a 6 week course specific for the preparation of the CILS exam
– One-to-one or two-to-one general or professional Italian: a course entirely tailored to your needs. You can book individual classes with a tutor or you can share the class with a friend (or colleague) with the same level of Italian and the same interests as you.
– Business Italian: a 4 week course, consisting of 6 hours of classes per day, four of which are in a General Italian group and two of which focus specifically on Business Italian. Perfect for people interested in working in or exposed to Italian speaking professional environments.
– Legal Italian: a course designed for students who want to learn field specific vocabulary in Italian. This course consists of 4 lessons in a Standard Language Course plus 1 private tutorial on Italian for law each day. The course is designed for those students who are already experts in the field of law in their own language.
– Italian culture and conversation course: This course is a perfect complement to the GI23. It is aimed at students interested in practicing their spoken Italian while exploring various aspects of Italian culture, such as the history of the language, Italian literature and Italian dialects. Every course lasts 2 afternoons, from 14.00 to 16.00
– Masterclass, over 45s: Students who are over 45 can choose to attend this course, that is specific for mature students and takes into account their specific learning needs and interests.
The course focuses on the spoken language and covers many cultural aspects of Italian, such as customs, festivals, history and literature. The course programme includes pick up from Bologna airport, a welcome drink, 20 lessons a week and a wide range of cultural activities for two days a week, including Italian cookery courses and wine testing sessions.
The cost of the course includes entrance to all museums, an evening at the theatre, dinner with the teacher and a day trip.
They also offer a variety of courses of Italian + special interest such as Italian + cooking classes and wine tasting, Italian + art or literature and Italian + ceramics or painting
Learn Italian in Bologna: accommodation
It is possible to book student accommodation in Bologna through the school. Options include: host family, self-catering apartments, hotels of B&B.
Please share this page if you know Alce or if you know someone who might want to learn Italian in Bologna!
Have you been to Bologna, to study Italian or just to visit this amazing city? I’d love to hear what you thought, please let me know in the comments below!